Access keys used on this site are:

Further Education Lecturing

Perhaps you have gone as far as you would like to as a clinical dental nurse. Perhaps you have gained some other qualifications but have the desire to move on? Have you thought about teaching? You could be the one who is using your experience and expertise to teach and guide others through the training courses.

To be a FE lecturer in England and Wales you need:

  • To be fully competent in the subject you intend to teach; and
  • Hold, or be prepared to work towards, a teaching qualification which is endorsed by Lifelong Learning UK (LLUK).


You will need to show competence in your subject by having either:

  • A relevant academic, trade or professional qualification; or relevant employment experience if appropriate.


To qualify as a permanent full-time or fractional lecturer you can do either a one year full-time or two years part-time:

  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) if you already have a degree; or
  • Certificate in Education (Cert Ed) if you do not have a degree.


Part-time courses:

  • Can be done before starting work or in-service (whilst working as a lecturer).
  • Involve organising some teaching hours for yourself, perhaps on a voluntary basis, if you are not already employed.
  • You can get full details of endorsed FE teaching qualifications and training providers from LLUK. Further education teaching qualifications do not qualify you to teach in primary or secondary schools. Website: Lifelong Learning UK (LLUK). You can also contact your local College or University and ask for details of Certificate in Education and other teaching courses they may offer.

A note to our visitors
AcceptWe have updated our Privacy Policy in compliance with EU cookie legislation. Take a look at our Privacy Policy to learn how we use cookies to collect anonymous site usage information. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our Privacy policy.
You'll keep being notified until you click the “Accept” button